The use of the motorhome, a mixture between a car and a house, is subject to rules, some of which are identical to those for other types of cars and some of which are specific to the motorhome. If you want to avoid unpleasant surprises, it is strongly advised to find out about the motorhome regulations before driving one or even before buying one. The aim is to enjoy a way of life that is out of the ordinary. Isn't it? It would be a pity to break this joy by a fine for example. Roadworthiness tests, permits and type of vehicles according to weight, parking restrictions, traffic regulations, ... Master these rules as best as possible before you start driving.


The motor home is both a means of transport and a home. This is where the complexity of the rules relating to them comes from. The approval rules that apply to the motor home are specific to it. Special standards have to be met. The rules concerning gas are strict. During the approval process, the distance of the burner from the wall is checked. The rules are the same as for other cars with regard to parking spaces, cabin, engine, etc. The technical inspections must be carried out in conventional control centres. You can also opt for centres specialising in heavy goods vehicles. The periodicity of these inspections follows the 4-2-2 year rule.


Unless specifically prohibited, motorhomes can park anywhere a car can park. Pay attention to the signs and indications. Sleeping in your motor home is perfectly normal. However, avoid committing the "act of camping on the public highway". This means that if you decide to sleep in your motor home in a public place, you are not allowed to take accessories outside. There are places called "reception areas". In these types of places, you can not only sleep in your motor home, but you can also take out accessories and furniture at will, as long as there is room. Common sense and politeness should be used when there are other motorhomes nearby, so as not to take up all the space.


All you need is a simple B licence to drive a motorhome weighing 3.5 tonnes or less. If the vehicle is towing a trailer weighing 750 kg or less, the B licence is still valid. If the sum of the weight of the towing vehicle and the trailer is between 3501 and 4250 kilos, you would need a B licence + the B96 training. This is a simple driving school training that lasts 7 hours. The BE licence will be necessary if the sum exceeds 4250 kilos. You need the C1E permit when the trailer weighs 3.5 tons or more. The motorhome is classified as a heavy vehicle when it exceeds 3.5 tons. In this case, you will need either a C1 permit (if the trailer is under 750 kg) or a C1E permit (when the trailer weighs more than 750 kg).